This year the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is 30 years old on July 26th. NCLD is celebrating by hosting a week of action from July 27-30, 2020, but, many organizations are honoring the ADA over the next two weeks with fantastic virtual events and opportunities. Below is a brief list of virtual events and resources from our friends in the disability rights movement, who are celebrating this landmark piece of civil rights legislation with us. We encourage you to engage and explore some of the upcoming events:
Live Virtual Events
- Tuesday, July 21st at 1:30 – 3:00 pm ET: The ADA at 30: “Let the Shameful Wall of Exclusion Come Down.” In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the ADA, join this webinar hosted by The Kennedy Institute with policy makers who helped make the ADA a reality. Register here.
- Wednesday, July 22nd at 10:30 – 11:30 am ET: Honoring the Fight: 30 years of the ADA. The United States Senate is hosting a panel discussion in honor of the 30th anniversary of the ADA. Register here.
- Wednesday, July 22nd at 12:00 – 1:30 pm ET: Disability and the Media. NH and the Institute on Disability at the University of New Hampshire are hosting a webinar to discuss disability in the media and how best to amplify the voices of those with disabilities. Register here.
- Thursday, July 23rd at 12:30 – 2:00 pm ET: ADA at 30: Building an Inclusive Progressive Movement. Join the Center for American Progress Action Fund, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro for a conversation on the future of the ADA. Register here.
- Friday, July 24th at 1:00 – 2:00 pm ET: Continuing the Fight: Ensuring the ADA Works for Everyone. Watch this panel from the United States Senate as they discuss ways we can continue to improve the ADA and its protections. Register here.
- Friday, July 24th at 11:00 am – 12:30 pm ET: The Americans with Disabilities Act: The Basics. Learn about the basics of the ADA from this introductory webinar hosted by presenters from the University of Arkansas Partners for Inclusive Communities. Register here.
- Wednesday, July 29th at 1:30 – 3:00 pm ET: Celebrate 30 years of the ADA with the U.S. Access Board. Join this event hosted by the U.S. Access Board with guest speakers to talk about the history of the ADA. The event includes a screening of a short documentary and remarks from activist Judy Heumann. Learn more here.
- Thirty for Thirtieth ADA Anniversary. Stephen Kuusisto, Director of the Office of Interdisciplinary Programs and Outreach from the Burton Blatt institute at Syracuse University is writing 30 essays in celebration of the anniversary, reflecting on his life as someone with a disability. Read them here.
- ADALive! Listen to podcasts with the Honorable Tony Coelho and activist Judy Heumann as they talk about the anniversary of the ADA, and their hopes for the future of disability rights. Listen here.
Tell Congress: Pass the RISE Act
We need your help! Ask your member of Congress to support students with learning and attention issues.
Thanks to support from generous partners like you, we are able to create programs and resources to support the 1 in 5 individuals with learning and attention issues nationwide.