POLICY & ADVOCACY
March 26th, 2020
Resources & Tools: Supporting Students with Disabilities During the COVID-19 Crisis
Our nation is facing an unprecedented public health crisis. With the outbreak of COVID-19, parents are navigating their new normal with children at home, jobs to keep, and serious concerns about nutrition and medical care. At the same time, educators are wondering how to connect with and reach all of their students from a distance.
Every student deserves access to educational opportunities — even if that means virtual education during this pandemic. And if educators are expected to innovate and act nimbly during these unprecedented times, we must provide the resources schools and districts so desperately need to effectively design those learning opportunities and educate all students.
NCLD and its community of parents, educators, and advocates will work together to navigate this new reality as safely as possible. To that end, we will continue to update this webpage to be a resource to our community.
- Senate Passes CARES Act in Response to the COVID-19 Crisis (March 26, 2020)
- NCLD Calls on Congress to Provide Robust Investments in Response to COVID-19: Recent Proposals Fall Far Short for Disability & School Communities (March 23, 2020)
- A Look at the CARES Act Proposal (March 20, 2020)
- Federal Response to COVID-19 – What it means for students and families (March 18, 2020)
- K-12 Schools and Childcare Programs: FAQs for Administrators, Teachers, and Parents
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided guidance for school settings.
- Children and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Checklist for Teachers and Parents
- Talking with children about Coronavirus Disease 2019
U.S. Department of Education Resources
- Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing Serving Children with Disabilities during COVID-19 national emergency (March 21, 2020)
- Fact Sheet: Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students [PDF, 385KB] (March 16, 2020)
- OCR Short Webinar on Online Education and Website Accessibility Webinar (Length: 00:07:08) (March 16, 2020)
- Protecting Student Privacy: FERPA and the Coronavirus (March 12, 2020)
- Questions and Answers on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the COVID-19 Outbreak (March 12, 2020)
- Fact Sheet: Impact of COVID-19 on Assessments and Accountability under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (March 12, 2020)
Tell Congress: Pass the RISE Act
We need your help! Ask your member of Congress to support students with learning and attention issues.
Thanks to support from generous partners like you, we are able to create programs and resources to support the 1 in 5 individuals with learning and attention issues nationwide.